Now that it’s March, it’s time to start thinking about the next holiday!
Chicago is one of the top destinations to celebrate St. Patrick’s day in the country. From city-wide parades to green rivers, and Irish taverns with lines of party-goers flowing out the door- Chicago has something for everyone looking to get their green on.
- Dyeing of the Chicago RiverPhoto by chicagoline.com; description by choosechicago.comOne of the world’s most famous St. Patrick’s Day traditions, the Chicago River is dyed emerald green each year. The river dyeing is a beloved tradition for many generations of Chicagoans that dates back over 50 years. Learn more about the history here.Each years, thousands of spectators will line the bridges and scenic riverwalk to catch a glimpse of the bright green waters. Get there early to grab a spot between State and Columbus; the water starts turning green at 9 a.m. and only keeps its color for about five hours, so don’t miss it!
- Chicago ParadePhoto and description by choosechicago.comWhat’s a holiday without a parade? How about one of the largest St. Patrick’s Day parades in the country? The downtown parade is the centerpiece of Chicago’s unforgettable St. Patrick’s Day celebrations.The procession travels north on Columbus Drive, beginning at Balbo Drive and ending at Monroe Drive. Don your best green outfit — or a kilt if you dare — and grab a good spot before the parade starts at noon. Plan on seeing plenty of colorful floats waving their green/white/orange flags high, troops of Irish step dancers, marching bands, bagpipers and more during the three-hour celebration.
- Now, let’s talk bars.
You will have your options with Irish taverns and pubs, bar crawls and bar packages. Let’s start with the classic Shamrock Crawl:
WHAT’S INCLUDED: Tickets include Admission, a T-Shirt, Breakfast Buffet, A Gift Card to Use on the Crawl, Giveaways & MORE!WHERE: Casey Moran’s, Charm’d Bar, Country Club, Deuce’s, HVAC, John Barleycorn, Merkle’s, Moe’s Cantina, Nola, Old Crow, Roadhouse 66, Sandlot, Stretch, and more TBA (bars subject to change)
If you want to stick around the green river – check out the River North Crawl:
TICKETS INCLUDE: Admission to ALL bars and $20 in gift cards to use on the crawl! The river will be dyed at 9am and the parade begins at noon!
WHERE: River North’s BEST Bars including: AceBounce, Bar Cargo, Bassment, Boss Bar, Bub City, Celeste, Chicago Chop House, Fat Baby Tacos, El Hefe, Hard Rock Cafe, Henry’s, Hubbard Inn, Ironside, Jojo’s Milk Bar, Joy District, Moe’s Cantina, Moxy Hotel, Old Crow, Pink Taco, Point and Feather, Rock Bottom (2nd floor), Rockit, Roof on The Wit, Social Twenty Five, STK, Sub51, 10 Pin, Theory, Tunnel, Underground, and more TBA (subject to change)
And the Irish Stroll:
Indulge in a shamrocking celebration of St. Patrick’s Day with a vivacious bar crawl in Chicago. On Saturday, March 16th, this bar hoppin’ all-day party will take you through Chicago’s most spirited bars and pubs while offering no cover entry and drink specials at each venue. Join in the festive fun with a St. Patrick’s Day bar crawl.
– Receive your wristband, map, and other items at the designated registration location
– Drink specials, times and prices vary per venue
– Ticket holders may visit participating venues in any order
– Registration sites, bars and drink specials are subject to change
– All sales are final. Tickets are non-refundable regardless of attendance. This is a rain or shine event
Check out bar crawls in other neighborhoods here!
Photos and descriptions by eventbrite.com